Want to improve the overall conditioning in your legs? Develop stronger posture in the water? How about becoming a more mindful kicker?
If so, today’s kick set has got you covered.
Michael Chapman, head coach of the Boonville Aquatic Dolphins, has a set for you swimmers out there looking to give your kick a boost.
Chapman has been coaching in the Evansville, Indiana, area for over a decade. During this time he was one of 100m breaststroke Olympic champion Lilly King‘s developmental coaches, being her primary coach until she was 15-years old.
The Variable Speed Kick Set
3 x 50 Flutter Kick on 1:00
- Round 1- 50 Slow and Powerful
- Round 2- 25 FAST/25 Slow and Powerful
- Round 3- Alternate 6 FAST kicks/ 6 Slow and Powerful Kicks
- Round 4- 50 FAST
Following each round- 1 minute vertical kicking
Notes from Coach Chapman:
- The focus of this set is general conditioning and focus on the kick itself.
- The slow and powerful kick gives swimmers the opportunity to think about the mechanics of the kick, and taking the time to feel the power.
- Then we add in some fast kicking once they have felt the mechanics.
- The vertical kicking between rounds helps build stronger hips and improves their body posture.
A special shout-out to Coach Chapman for taking the time to send over this set. Inject it into one of your next workouts and kick your way to a stronger, err, kick!