Getting ready to fix and replace the pool liner on your above-ground pool? Extend the life of your backyard pool with our hand-picked selection of the best above-ground pool liners.
The unfortunate reality of your above-ground pool is that it is not going to stay in perfect condition forever.
Replacing the pool liner is one way that you can extend the life of your pool.
In this guide to the best above ground pool liners, we are gonna take a look at the different types of pool liners, the best kinds for your particular pool, and what you can do to lengthen the life of your pool (and pool liner!).
Let’s do this!
Buyer’s Guide to Above-Ground Pool Liners
When you think about it, there is a lot of ways that your pool is taking a thorough beating:
- General use by swimmers. Pool users jumping in and out, pulling on the sides, leaning on it, stretching the vinyl.
- Improper chemical use in disinfecting the pool. Chlorine tablets and pool chemicals are magical in their ability to keep a pool clean, but they are industrial grade solvents, and using them in the wrong dose will degrade the lining.
- UV damage. The sun isn’t just a cause of sunburns and/or suntans; ultraviolet rays, over time, will make the vinyl fade and bake the exposed vinyl, making it prone to cracking.
- Hard weather. Windstorms, hard rain, heavy snow packed on the top of the above-ground pool cover—they can all stretch and pull on the liner. There are plenty of “fail” videos online of pools completely coming apart in hard wind-storms and inclement weather.
- General aging. Nothing lasts forever, and with your above-ground pool being exposed to the elements, it is going to expand and contract with the weather, which will inevitably lead to the weakening of the vinyl, with leaks to follow.
Even though your above-ground pool is up against the elements and consistent use by swimmers, replacing the liner is one way to extend the life of the pool.
Overlap Liners for Above-Ground Pools
Overlap liners are the most economical option for replacing the liner in your above-ground pool. They are typically constructed of long-lasting, standard gauge vinyl, with double-bonded seams. Although cheaper, they do require some work with the installation.
Swimline Blue Overlap Liner
Coming in your standard aqua blue, the Swimline Overlap Liner comes with a 15-year warranty, will fit snugly on a 48 or 52-inch sidewall, and is available in lengths of 16 to 33 feet. Made for round pools.
Swimline Overlap Oval Pool Swirl Liner
Another overlap liner for above-ground pools is their Oval Swirl edition. Backed by the same 15-year warranty, the Liner fits almost all oval above ground pools, including popular Intext models. They also fit smaller pools (12 by 24 feet) up to 33-foot pools.
Smartline Boulder Swirl Above Ground Pool Liners
Smartline is a specialist in swimming pool liners, and its above-ground liner is one of the best-rated liners on Amazon.
The Smartline Above Ground Pool Liner is a good-looking replacement liner for steel-sided pools. Made with heavy-duty 25-gauge vinyl, the Smartline Liner is a high-quality option that fits most pools. (They stress that it does not fit Intex and pop-up pools, which have walls and liners that are a single piece of material.)
The Smartline liners come in a series of patterns and colors to spice up the look of your pool (a dozen in total), fits just about every size pool there is, and is best installed with a pool pad that protects your new liner from debris on the ground.
Beaded Liners for Above Ground Swimming Pools
If you want to change up the look and durability of your above ground pool, consider installing a beaded liner.
The “conversion” is quite simple—drop the bead hanger on top of the pool wall and away we go. Works on round, oval, and rectangular pool walls.
Blue Wave Bead Liner for Above Ground Pools
With an average 4.6 rating on Amazon, these Blue Wave Beaded Liners are a fast, efficient, and effective way to repair and improve your pool liner.
They come in packs—measure the circumference of your pool and load up accordingly. They can be cut and trimmed to fit, and when you install them, there is a comforting “click” that happens to let you know that the liner is in place.
Made of long-lasting and durable PVC that will take a beating and can shore up your pool quickly and efficiently.
Unibead Liners for Above Ground Swimming Pools
Another quick-install option is using a uni-bead liner. It is draped over the top of your pool wall, and unlike overlap liners, do not need coping strips to lock in place.
Swimline Grand Tile Unibead Pool Liner
Another liner comes from the folks over at Swimline. Designed with premium vinyl and with UV-protection in mind (to keep that fancy new liner from fading in the sun), this liner functions as overlap or beaded liners, but with greater ease of installation.
This particular liner will also work with pools that have bead receivers. Backed with a 25-year warranty for maximum peace of mind.